Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Viaduct

One cold and cloudy night, not many days ago, I visited the Aussersihler viaduct in Zürich (or simply Im Viaduct, as I figured it's known here) for the purposes of a short video. While this viaduct is mostly known and visited for the stores that occupy and light up its base as it stretches all the way, I went to the top (well, not the railway of course, but as hight as you can get via the stairs) to take advantage of the view. While I was there, fascinated by how close I was to the trains passing by, I started taking photos trying to capture the beauty of their light glowing in the dark night. This is a short post to share a couple of photos from that night with you.

No matter how beautiful this city is in the light of day, I will forever love it more during the night. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the nights here are simultaneously more vibrant and calmer. Especially now that the weather is more wintery. There is something very serene about watching city lights in the night while chilly wind blows towards you.

Moreover, as you might have already guessed, I'm easily captivated by public transport, especially trains of all kinds. Growing up in Cyprus, I didn't ever have the chance to use or even see anything other than buses. Now in Zürich I can sit for hours watching trains come and go, or the boats in the lake as they make their way across, even the sound of trams in the night is magical to me. I also love transport mediums in all forms of visual arts. I think there is something really poetic about them and make interesting topics (or details) in photographs or films. Trains can signify a transition, changes, dreams, romance, moving on, an adventure, a journey, an encounter, a new beginning, an end, or even life itself... Throughout the history of cinema, they've been used countless times as such symbols.

What I was thinking while viewing the trains that night was how every passenger in there had their own story. A story that I nor any other passenger in that same train would ever know. Every single person that to me was a mere passerby, was coming from somewhere and was going somewhere else. A complicated story was being unfold, in which they were the protagonist that experiences life and the complicated feelings that accompany it. And to them, I was a mere bystander; the person whose story they don't know. It's the same feeling that The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows calls sonder.

What kind of thoughts do trains evoke to you?